Tuesday 6 October 2015

Day 31 - Reintroduction #1 Oats **UPDATED**

Whilst I'm happy and proud that I've finished my 30 days on the Whole 30 challenge, it's left me with mixed emotions about reintroductions. 

I've decided that some things I can live without, for example milk, but others I'm sooo ready to add back in. So having thought long and hard about what I wanted to reintroduce first, I decided upon oats. I chose Gluten Free Oats, because I wanted to ensure that any negative side effects I have come from the oats and not gluten. After what felt like hours searching for a gluten free muesli or granola I finally found these, the only ones without added sugar and other nasties! **Sadly, since May 2016, Nairn's have changed their recipe to now include cranberries, sweetened with SUGAR! Their reasoning was that it's only to sweeten, and per 100g the new product has less total sugar than the old recipe. They're missing my point that for the sake of a few cranberries, they are missing out on a massive part of a growing market... NO ADDED SUGAR! Anyway, I've stock piled my last few boxes of the old recipe and will not be buying the new mixture, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they remove the cranberries in the future!**




They tasted pretty good, although expensive at over £3 for 450g. The recommended portion size is 45g, but I splashed out weighing out a whole measly 50g. I'm not great at keeping cereal portions in the deep, dark, depths of my bowl... Served with Alpro Unsweetened Almond Milk and 7 strawberries, as well as an apple, oh and a homemade energy bar, it kept me pretty full until lunch. All in all, my morning meal contained 445 calories, which is similar to what I've been consuming every breakfast for the past 30 days.

Why Oats?

Oats contain a protein called Avena Sativa. For some people this can cause sensitivities via inhalation or ingestion. The protein is similar to gluten, found in wheat and can cause similar symptoms. For people who suffer from an allergy to gluten, they may also suffer an allergic reaction to the avenin, the glutinous protein found in oats.

Oats intolerance symptoms can include stomach cramps, bloating, nausea, vomiting, excessive gas and headaches.

If you believe you have a sensitivity to oats, please speak with your GP where they can advise you further. Sometimes the symptoms associated with oats can be delayed, so it's worth noting what you've eaten and keep a diary on any delayed side effects. Consuming oats in small doses may also present no symptoms, but in large quantities on a regular basis, side effects may pop up.

How I'll be managing oats

So far so good, but bearing in mind a delayed reaction, the rest of my diet will remain W30 for a couple of days. I intend to mix up my breakfasts, to begin with having gluten free oats only, however I won't rule out testing non-gluten (via contamination) in the future. I've previously been tested for celiac disease and the results came back negative, however just because a person doesn't have an allergy, doesn't mean they can't be sensitive to gluten, suffering from bloating and fatigue.

I'm still loving my chia pudding and eggs, but it feels so great to have a few more options opening up!

One final confession

So, technically introduction number two... On only day one but the only non compliant ingredient was date syrup and since I've been eating dates, I didn't think it was a massive deal. Plus celebrating with one of these, was sooo much better than celebrating with a glass of wine! 



No comments:

Post a Comment